Saturday, September 26, 2009

Kabul24

This book was very different than I thought.  I was thinking it was just a fiction story about the war on terrorism, but this is a non-fiction account of 8 western missionaries: Heather Mercer, Dayna Curry, Georg Taubmann, Diana Thomas, Margrit Stebner, Peter Bunch, Katrin Jelinek and Silke Duerrkopf) who worked for SNI (Shelter Now International) being held as hostages in 2001.  This book has been an eye opening reality for me as I lived their accounts, through their story, while being held as prisoners.  I asked myself some serious questions:  in the face of evil, how would I handle myself, would I remain calm in the midst of the nightmare of being held captive, could I show loving compassion for my captors, who can I really trust, and could I forgive as Christ forgives.  So many soul searching questions that you too may be asking yourself as you are reading Kabul24.  It is a journey that you will learn about the culture in Afghanistan, their customs, family life, their religion and also the sadness and emptiness that women, children and diluted men face because of their faithful following of Allah.  As you read you get first hand knowledge of the Taliban.  The injustice of their society and the way of life they live makes me so thankful to be an American, to live in a country where I am free (free in Christ).  "Any foreigner who came to work in Afghanistan knew there was great risk involved with the volatile nature of the political situation - and of those in power - as well as a history of civil war, one knew going in that there was an element of danger and uncertainty" (pg.20).  I couldn't put this book down.  It keep my interest and I was intrigued by the working and awesome power of the Holy Spirit.  This is a great 'history' book, especially for middle school or high school students to get a better understanding the war on terrorism.  Wait until you find out how it all unfolds!

No comments:

Post a Comment